Friday, September 18, 2009

So far, we're doing good. Mainly, we're just thankful. I googled other car accidents involving gas station pumps and it just makes me more thankful. It could have ended so much worse.

Most likely, the car will be totaled. There's a $6000 threshold so if the repairs go over that, it's going to be totaled. We still owe over $10,000 on it, and paid $8000 already, so don't know how that will work. I have to wait for the police report to be ready before I can file the claim with the other driver's insurance. Everything was so chaotic and by the time the other driver and I were about to exchange info, that's when the police and emergency personnel arrived and I had to answer their questions and give a statement. In the meantime, we filed the claim with our insurance to get things started so that we could get a rental for Jeff to get to work in.

I know the adjuster looked at our car today and he was going to call us back, but we haven't heard anything. Having been a secretary in auto claims when I worked at State Farm, I know how slow they are to make contact.

We're keeping our eyes on the girls, both emotionally and physically. We talked tonight and I told them how it's normal to be scared about riding in a car again, but that they will overcome it. I'm also preparing for any nightmares that may occur, and I told them that no matter what time of night, they can wake me if they're having one.

I'm trying to make a joke of it, because we were on our way to their doctor for their checkup. They haven't been to the doctor for a year and a half. After things calmed down afterwards, I said to them "I guess that'll teach me to take you for your checkups!" They don't like going because of shots, so it helped ease the stress.

What made me angry about this whole event, besides the fact that I went off on the other driver right away, before I had the sense to calm down and apologize to her, but what really irked me was that with all these people standing around watching, not one person offered to help and only 1 person asked if we were okay. It was definitely a valuable lesson to me and hopefully the girls to always help others when they're in trouble and need assistance or even a little bit of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment